The holidays are here, and for most people, that means some kind of entertaining which can stress your household plumbing systems. By following these simple tips, you can ensure that plumbing problems won’t ruin your holiday festivities.
- Know What Goes in Your Disposal
- Many materials can cause severe damage to your disposal. Avoid putting stringy foods, animal fat, pasta, rice, bread products, cooking oils/grease, and paper, metal, or plastic. When in doubt, trash it!
- Between Showers, Wait 10-15 Minutes
- Are you hosting guests for the holidays? Space the time between showers to let your hot water supply replenish and allow your drain time to clear out.
- Be Mindful of What Goes Down Your Toilet
- Items that commonly clog your toilet are sanitary napkins, feminine hygiene products, facial pads, cotton balls, paper towels, and cleansing wipes.
- Wait to Use Your Dishwasher
- The dishwasher and garbage disposal typically share the same drain.
- If you run the disposal or let anything go down the drain, it can push waste back into the dishwasher’s cleaning cycle. One helpful tip – run the disposal before you run the dishwasher to avoid backups when washing your dishes.
- Prepare Your Drains
- The last thing you want during the holidays is a stinky sink. Pour a brine solution or very strong salt water into your sink to combat odor. Another solution is to use lemon peels and ice. These methods are also great for keeping grease build-up from happening.
Your focus should be on making memories this holiday season, not dealing with plumbing issues. Following these tips ensures you can enjoy the most wonderful time of the year!
Happy Holidays from Arrowhead Brass!